Basic Principles of Supply Chain Management for Health Systems
After having successfully completed the course, participants will be able to:
- Define the essential medicines concept and rational use of medicines.
- Describe the different steps and processes in the supply chain management of health commodities.
- Interpret and discuss the roles of managers and different stakeholders in supply chain management, within the overall health system.
- Be familiar with underlying principles of good storage and distribution practices of medicines.
- Underline the key issues surrounding monitoring and evaluation of supply chain management.
- Appreciate the importance and need for quality assurance of medicines along the supply chain.
- Understand and critically analyse supply chain systems in different countries to identify practical approaches and intervention strategies.
Target participant group
The course is designed for all health personnel, business administrators and managers involved in the health sector, development cooperation, healthcare programmes and projects in developing countries. No prior knowledge is required, although practical involvement in the health sector is an advantage.
Teaching and learning strategy
The course is taught online on i+academy, a Moodle e-learning platform, accessible from anywhere at any time. The interactive course materials are presented sequentially under the guidance of expert facilitators from i+solutions who assist the participants during their learning progress, answer questions and stimulate interactions. Lessons are complemented and enlivened by online activities such as discussion forums, quizzes, and assignments.
Assessment and grading
Participants will be graded based on their online participation and their performance. A certificate of completion and an e-badge will be awarded to all those who complete a minimum of 75% of all online activities (lessons, quizzes, discussion forums) AND attain a grade of at least 7/10 on the end-of-course quiz. The percentage of completion will be measured automatically online as the participant goes through the course. The grade of the end-of-course quiz will also be determined automatically, there are an unlimited number of attempts allowed. In addition, there are several non-graded activities such as short assignments and short quizzes to guide the learning process of the participants.
Start date: Monday, 18 February 2019 13:00 (UTC)
End date: Monday, 1 April 2019 13:00 (UTC)
Level of effort: 4 hours per week
|Health systems - an overview
Access to medicines
|Introduction to the supply chain cycle
Selection of essential medicines
|Quantification of medicines
Basic principles of medicines procurement
Warehousing and distribution
|Rational use of medicines
Quality assurance of medicines
|Human resources for SCM
Monitoring and evaluation of supply chain systems
Health systems strengthening from a SCM perspective